Friday, December 31, 2010

Reverb 10 - December 27 and 28

Don't let his adorableness fool you - he can
clear the room with a toot.
December 27 – Ordinary Joy. Our most profound joy is often experienced during ordinary moments. What was one of your most joyful ordinary moments this year? (Author: Brené Brown) 


My most joyful experience is laying down in bed with Ryan and Tex. They're my little family and it makes me nearly giddy to hear them offering up the dueling banjos of snoring. It's cute and it makes me feel so safe - like my life is all curled up in that bed resting. It's a wonderful feeling to be next to the ones you love and to feel like everything is ok at the moment. 


The coolest thing is that I get to do it every night, even if one of them occasionally farts up the bed.






December 28 – Achieve. What’s the thing you most want to achieve next year? How do you imagine you’ll feel when you get it? Free? Happy? Complete? Blissful? Write that feeling down. Then, brainstorm 10 things you can do, or 10 new thoughts you can think, in order to experience that feeling today. (Author: Tara Sophia Mohr)

Next year I want to be content. That's it - I don't have to have a mid-blowing personal revelation or some crazy adventure, I just want to be happy and to enjoy life. 

I remember hearing this young girl (not young, young - just a bit younger than me in college) lament that some people are doomed to live an ordinary life. I was kind of drunk at the time, so my reply probably sounded like "You're stupid" when what I meant to say is "We should all learn to be happy where we are." There are so many people in the world - in our own community - who wish and pray that they could have an ordinary life. Whether they have been hit by tragedy, crippled by poverty or just miserable in general, they would most likely be completely fine with just having a family, having a decent job and sleeping in a warm bed.

My life is ordinary, but the fact that I get to wake up and live it everyday is awesome. That's all we can ask for, right? All the rest is just details. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment