Thursday, October 6, 2011

Kryptonite - what's yours?



The lovely Ruthie posted a great comment on a recent post about superpowers and expectation that made me think:
"... you should figure our your kryptonite and avoid it like the plague! :)"
YES! Kryptonite - we all have something in our lives that makes us powerless against it. Maybe it's a trigger food or the lure of party platters. Maybe it's waiting too late to eat a meal and then chowing down like a hungry gorilla or drinking too much and throwing caution to the wind when you decide you're hungry (I'm convinced this is why McDonald's still exists!)

Mine is the latter. If I have more than one glass of wine, my willpower goes the way of the Dodo. Any greasy, fatty foods in site are suddenly on my radar and I have to consumer them. NOW! Sober Sarah can let the craving pass, but slightly above the legal limit Sarah is ready to party - with cake.

My strategy of dealing with this is two fold: 1) Don't drink so much! and 2) Go into the situation full. If I eat a healthy meal beforehand, I can usually pass on the tater tots at the bar later on, but if I had alcohol on an emptyish stomach before ordering food, it's a guaranteed disaster.

What's your Kryptonite? What's your strategy to avoid it?

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I think my kryptonite is stress. I recently found out that I lost 3kgs (6.6lbs - thank you online converter!) from work-related stress. I didn't realise until it was kindly pointed out to me by colleagues and I later confirmed it by sneakily weighing myself on the fancy bed at the Wheelchair Seating Clinic.

Since a lot/most of my stress was created by my workplace situation, I applied for and later accepted a six month position somewhere else (bonus: it's a promotion!). I hope that six months away will be enough time to re-frame, recover and go back refreshed but only time will tell (I start Monday!).

Good luck with your Kryptonite avoidance strategies! I'd suck at "drink less" - there are too many good boutique wineries where I live... oh, what a difficult life!

Sarah said...

Stress is so crazy like that! With mild stress, I gain like crazy - with heavy stress, I can't eat and lose like crazy. Before my wedding, I lost almost 20 lbs in two months. I was a little ball of stress!

Can't wait to hear about the new job - I just Facebooked you about it and then saw this comment! D'oh - I thought you started already!

Ruthie said...

Drive thru's and gas stations. Those places are meccas of things-that-should-not-be-eaten. Avoiding them means avoiding fried pies, lime flavored potato chips, tots and fries.

Sarah said...

OMg - gas station food is a hard one to resist! I love the Buckees root beer so much, but it's pretty much a diabetic coma waiting to happen.

Post a Comment